1. ISO 14000
• A set of standards that address environmental issues. This initiative began in 1993 when the ISO formed TC207 (technical committee).
• This set of standards is designed to be administered like the ISO9000 quality standards. Basically, documenting the process, and ensuring that the documented process is followed. - “say what you do, do what you say”.
• ISO 9000 and 14000 are compatible and can be integrated.
• The standards include,
- environmental management
- environmental auditing
- environmental labeling
- environmental performance evaluation
- life cycle assessment
- environmental standards
• The standard includes the following sections,
14000 - the main guide to the 14000 standards
14001 - the most stringent environmental certification
14010-14019 - guidelines for auditing
14010 - the general principles of environmental auditing
14011-1 - auditing of environmental management systems
14011-2 - audits to check for compliance
14012 - qualification of auditors
14014 - a guide to performing an initial environmental review
14020-14024 - environmental labelling
14020 - basic principles for environmental labelling
14021 - terms and definitions for labelling
14022 - symbols used in labelling
14023 - testing and verification methods for labelling
14024 - methods used by labelling teams
14031 - methods for evaluating environmental performance
14041-14044 - life cycle assessment
14041 - code of practice
14042 - inventory
14043 - impact analysis
14044 - improvement analysis
14050 - terms and definitions
14060 - inclusion of environmental aspects in product standards
• As with ISO9000 the basic process is,
1. Make a decision to obtain certification.
2. Plan the preparation process (possibly hire a consultant).
3. Assess current practices.
4. Make required changes.
5. Document the corrected system.
6. Request a certification visit.
7. The certification team visits to ensure compliance.
8. Certification may be granted.
9. Internal audits and updates done as called for in ISO14000 documents.
10. Occasional visits to ensure compliance to renew certification.