LABORATORY EXPERIMENT GUIDELINES
General Objective of Laboratories:
The laboratory experiments will allow the student to apply the theoretical techniques learned during this and previous controls courses. While implementing the theoretical controls techniques, the students will also learn the practical aspects of modern controls technologies. The first labs will introduce the student to Programmable Logic Controllers. The final labs will focus on advanced applications and control of a small scale industrial process.
1. Prelabs are essential, and must be done before every lab session when required.
2. Prelabs require that some assumptions be made.
3. The lab period should be used for debugging prelab work.
4. Labs are to be handed in before leaving.
5. Prelabs for individual labs are to be done individually. Prelabs for group labs are to be done in groups.
• The projects sheets that are in the lab notes are to be filled out as follows,
PLC Project sheet - identifies the project, packet contents and contact person.
System Description - a succinct paragraph stating how the system will behave
I/O Notes - description of all inputs and outputs.
Design Notes - A detailed description f the control system. This description must be in the form of a state diagram, flow cart, sequential function chart, Boolean equations or ruth table.
Application Notes - For our use this page will usually contain a test plan. A test plan lists the test cases needed to verify correct operation of the system. Each test case consists of a set of inputs and the corresponding outputs. A complete test plan ensures proper operation of the system in all states.
Input/Output Card - Detailed plan for attaching the inputs and outputs to the PLC.
Program Listing - A list of ladder logic to implement the system.
• NOTE: IN ORDER TO COMPLETE LABS IN THE TIME ALLOTED THE PRELAB WORK MUST BE COMPLETED BEFORE ATTEMPTING THE LAB EXERCISE
• general rules for using the design sheets are,
- omit unused design sheets
- if a small change is made, modify the design sheets
- if a large change is made, leave the original and append updated pages.
- do design work in pen. Errors can be crossed out with a single diagonal line
[an error occurred while processing this directive]