1.2 THE HISTORY
• Late 50’s
- Bell introduces data communication networks
- Texaco uses remote monitoring and control for automating polymerization plant.
• Early 60’s
- World wide use of data phone system to link airports for maintenance
- Many uses of terminals for inputting and displaying data.
• Mid 60’s
- Uses of computer for large scale test monitoring
- NC part programming being done remotely on time sharing mainframes.
- Advent of Mini computers made it possible for companies to have multiple computers which had to communicate.
- Microprocessor drops cost of computers dramatically, and automated machines become very common
- Personal computers, and automated machinery start a trend to network small computers networked with large computers
[an error occurred while processing this directive]