1.1 ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (EPA)
• This agency was created when Nixon combined various health and regulatory agencies into the EPA.
• The EPA primarily verifies environmental practices and takes corrective actions.
• Corrective actions might include,
• The EPA also sets some policies that are intended to be guides for industry.
• Recently the role of the EPA has been changing to be less adversarial and more supportive for industry.
• Some of the chemicals that the EPA targets in toxic releases are,
Cadmium and compounds
Chromium and compounds
Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride)
Lead and compounds
Mercury and compounds
Methyl Ethyl Ketone
Methyl Isobutyl Ketone
Nickel and compounds