• The competitive world of manufacturing is requiring that computers now be used in a production environment to make things faster and more precise.
• Some basic roles of computers in manufacturing are,
- Prepare product designs for shop floor production
- Schedule jobs into machines in the factory
- Track inventory, work in process, etc.
- Control workcells
- Control of processes
• When these functions happen automatically, and don’t require human intervention, we tend to say they are part of a CIM system.