Purpose: After studying a technical field, we use a research report to summarize and condense the important details and differences. After reading a research report, a reader should be able to discuss advanced topics in the field in general terms.
1. Clearly define the objectives for the report.
2. Outline what you know on a word processor in point form and find the “holes.”
3. Do research to find the missing information.
4. Incorporate the new and old information (still in bullet point form).
5. Rearrange the bullet points into a logical structure.
6. Convert bullet point form into full text.
7. Proof read and edit.