4.6 Cutting Power
• There are a number of reasons for wanting to calculate the power consumed in cutting. These numbers can tell us how fast we can cut, or how large the motor on a machine must be.
• Having both the forces and velocities found with the Merchant for Circle, we are able to calculate the power,
• We can relate the energy used in cutting to the mrr.
• The cutting force will vary, thus changing Ps, as the cutting velocities are changed.
• The effects of rake angle on cutting are shown in the graph below, [REF ******]
• The horsepower required for cutting can be found using empirical methods,
• If we consider the implications these formulas have when cutting on a lathe, we would be able to develop the following equations,