• Networks come in a variety of topologies, but buses are most common on factory floors.
• The OSI model can help when describing network related hardware and software.
• Networks can be connected with a variety of routers, bridges, gateways, etc.
• Devicenet is designed for interfacing to a few inputs and outputs.
• Controlnet is designed for interfacing between controllers.
• Controlnet and devicenet are based on CANbus.
• Ethernet is common, and can be used for high speed communication.
• Profibus is another control network.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]