3.4 GT MACHINE CELLS
• After identifying part families, a standard set of production steps can be identified.
• After identifying standard production steps, the factory floor can be reorganized to reflect a more rational layout of machines.
• Various ways to lay out machines for part families are,
- Single Machine Cell
- Group machine layout
- flow line design
• Single Machine Cells are suited to products which may be produced on a single machine, using a single process. This can also involve bringing two machines together. Such as a grinder, on a lathe.
• Group Machine Layout is suited to a small set of operations on a part which cannot be performed on a single machine.
• Flow Line Design - when parts in a family have a number of processes with the same sequence, this system may be set up with a transfer line.