• GT should be used when there are a large number of parts that can be divided into groups based upon geometry, function, and/or production.
• implementation is a multistage process,
1. Develop a GT code
2. verify the GT code by coding about 10-20% of the parts in the factory. A good random sample of parts should be used for reliable results.
3. The results of the coding should be reviewed. If too many parts have the same GT code, or there are not enough similarities between codes, then the code should be revised.
4. The remainder of the parts should be coded.
5. An examination of all the parts for the factory will allow the identification of patterns in production, or design. As a result standard production routings, or standard product designs may be selected.